|Disney California Adventure|
|Designer||Walt Disney Imagineering|
|Attraction type||Steel roller coaster|
|Theme||Boardwalk Wooden roller coaster/Surfing|
|Propulsion method||Linear Induction Motors|
|Opening date||February 8, 2001|
|Hosted by|| Dee Bradley Baker (2001-2011)|
Neil Patrick Harris (2011-present)
|Vehicle capacity||5-24 person trains (Red, Yellow, Orange, Blue, Purple)/2-23 (Both Green Trains)|
|Cars per vehicle||6|
|Guests per car||4|
|Ride duration||2:36 minutes|
|Length||6072 ft (1850.7 m)|
|Total height||120 ft (36.6 m)|
|Maximum speed||65 mph (104.6 km/h)|
|Height requirements||48" (122 cm)|
|Number of lifts||2|
California Screamin' was designed by Walt Disney Imagineering and built by Swiss design company Intamin AG. It is 6,072 feet long with a top speed of 55 miles per hour, achieved in the launch at the beginning of the ride. The launch uses linear induction motors to propel the train with enough momentum to clear the first lift hill, rather than using a traditional lift hill chain.
California Screamin' has a long layout. There are two tracks that load people onto the ride, and because of a track switch, the two tracks merge into one. Shortly after, they head onto a flat track near water level, which is on Paradise Bay. It is mostly known as the area where the 55mph launch-off occurs. After a short wait, Neil Patrick Haris, who portrays a Victorian Carnival character, counts down and then the ride accelerates 55mph into the air in just four seconds. It goes up a hill and goes down and banks to the right, where it reaches the first brake system. Shortly after, a few twists and turns occur before heading up the 120-foot hill, which overlooks all of Disneyland Resort. Following the lift is a 108-foot plunge. The car then circles back and after a short drop, riders turn upside down on the exciting and well-known loop, which is in front of a huge sunburst in a circle (formerly a Mickey Mouse). It then goes up again and drops down and banks again, going into another brake system before heading into two "bunny hops" that go over Toy Story Mania. It then circles around some more before it suddenly stops, and heads back into the station.
Rockin' California Screamin'
On January 3, 2007, the onride soundtrack for California Screamin' was removed and was replaced with a remixed version of "Around the World" by The Red Hot Chili Peppers, giving the attraction its retheming to Rockin' California Screamin'. The standard audio track was restored after the campaign ended.
- Currently, California Screamin' is the 4th longest roller coaster in the US, and the 8th longest worldwide, at 6,072 feet long. Since the loop was removed from Son of Beast at Kings Island, California Screamin' is the longest roller coaster to have an inversion (the loop).
- California Screamin' contains over 36 miles of electrical wire, and 167 miles of individual conductors.
- It took 5.8 million pounds of steel to build California Screamin'.
- There are 11.5 million pounds of concrete in the foundations and the "deepest" foundation is a deep pile of 48 feet.
- Because Disney's California Adventure is located within a residential zone and must adhere to certain noise restriction guidelines, special "scream" tubes were designed for California Screamin' to muffle the Guests' screams during those thrill portions of the ride that are sure to elicit such a reaction.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from the The Disney Wiki. The list of authors can be seen in the page revision history (view authors). As with the Disney Parks Wiki, the text of The Disney Wiki is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.|