- February 8 - Disney's California Adventure opens at Disneyland Resort. Now known as Disney California Adventure, it is only the second theme park to be built at the California resort, and the first since Disneyland Park in 1955. The Anaheim version of Downtown Disney opens concurrently with the park).
- April 28 - Rocket Rods (opened 1998) is officially closed, after being out of operation for months.
- May 6 - A tree in Frontierland at Disneyland Park leans and falls over, leaving 29 guests with minor injuries.
- September 4 - Tokyo DisneySea opens, the second park to open at the Tokyo Disney Resort.
- September 11 - Disneyland Resort is closed due to the attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon. It is only the third and most recent unexpected closure of Disneyland Park, the others occurring in 1963 and 1994. It is the only unexpected closure of Disney's California Adventure, which had opened in February.
- October - The Sleeping Beauty Castle attraction closes
- October 16th- Walt Disney Studios Park opens at Disneyland Paris.
- Carousel of Progress is closed, then reopened on a seasonal basis. It is restored to an everyday attraction by 2003.
- The Walt Disney Story featuring Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln receives a drastic renovation, shifting its focus onto the American Civil War.