- April 22 - Disney's Animal Kingdom opens at Walt Disney World Resort. The resort's fourth park, it focuses on animal conservation. The Kilimanjaro Safaris and It's Tough to Be a Bug! are two popular opening-day attractions (the latter would be reproduced at Disney California Adventure years later).
- May 22 - The New Tomorrowland renovation at Disneyland Park is completed, introducing a handful of new attractions:
- August 17 - Captain EO (opened 1992, reopened 2010) is closed at Disneyland Paris to be replaced by Honey, I Shrunk the Audience.
- September 9 - The Submarine Voyage (opened 1959) is closed at Disneyland Park. It was planned to be replaced by an attraction based on Atlantis: The Lost Empire for opening in 2003; however, after the box-office failure of that film the idea was scrapped. The ride would be reimagined and reopened in 2007 as the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage.
- November 8 - The Skyway (opening-day attraction) at Tokyo Disneyland is closed.
- December 24 - A cleat tears loose from the Sailing Ship Columbia, striking a cast member and two guests and killing one of the guests.
- Construction begins on Disney's California Adventure.