- May 28 - "it's a small world" opens in Fantasyland at Disneyland Park
- Summer - A 19-year-old boy is struck and killed by a Monorail train at Disneyland after climbing on the track in an attempt to sneak into the park.
- July 24 - New Orleans Square, a new themed land and the only one of its kind in the world, opens at Disneyland.
- The New Tomorrowland expansion occurs:
- The Clock of the World is removed
- 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea Exhibit (opened 1955) is closed
- Art Corner closes
- Tomorrowland Jets (opened 1964) is closed; relocated, renamed to Rocket Jets and reopened in 1967 (closed 1997)
- Flying Saucers (opened 1961) is closed
- Rocket to the Moon (opened 1955) is closed, and replaced by Flight to the Moon (closed 1975)
- December 1 - Katherine LaNasa, actress (Honey, I Shrunk the Audience)